Tuesday 4 December 2012

How to make DIY Card Candy

These little things are dead easy to make, and really fun! So I thought I'd pop up a quick tutorial to show how I make them.

You can use card candy anywhere you'd normally use a brad or a gem, and the first thing you need to make it is the world's cutest paper punch...

How dinky is that!

You also need an embossing tool and some funky foam. I've chosen here to make my card candy out of gold mirri card.


Because I'm really into card candy at the moment, I've made myself a little card candy mat! It's just a bunch of squares of funky foam glued together. A single sheet of funky foam works fine, but if you want the honest truth, I've done this because this is chunkier, which makes it easier to find in the depths of my craft bag!!

 
To begin with, punch out a little circle from card.


Paper does work too by the way, but I prefer something a bit more solid so I tend to make my card candy from  card.


Next, turn your little circle over and place it upside down on your funky foam.


Push down all around the edges to shape the circle into a little dome.


Don't push in the centre, just around the edges. When you're done, it should look something like this:


Here it is the right way up. Voila! A little fake brad!


I decided to add some card candy to one of the cards we made at our demo. To stick it on, add little dots using one of the £1 stick it gluepens.


Don't be afraid to use fairly large dots, these gluepens dry clear anyway, so if you smudge a bit it won't matter.


Lift up your card candy using tweezers, and just pop them on top of the dots. Don't press them down, because you don't want to risk squishing them. Just gently drop them on.






And when you're done, I promise they'll look lovely!


Here are some more. These have been made by colouring a bit of white card with Vintage Photo Distress Ink, then punching out the circles.


Distress-Inked Card Candy is really cool, because when you look at them close up, they almost look like velvet!


Gorgeous aren't they? And so very simple to make.

Hope you've enjoyed!


2 comments:

  1. clever stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! I'd never have thought of that. So simple yet clever!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment!